Friday, May 7, 2010

Hmmm pie + chicken

That's right, the quintessential home-cooked meal. Chicken. Pot. Pie. I remember the first time I had one at a friend's house down the street. It was of the personal sized pre-frozen variety, but I was so intrigued by this pie that was not a dessert.

Now is the time I have to admit something to you, fair reader(s). Sometimes I cheat. At cooking, I mean. I consider some forms of cooking to be shortcuts and I'm fine with them, other times I just can't conceive doing something like cooking an entire meal in the microwave. I draw the line there. Other than the microwave, I'm not really opposed to exploring other methods. Thus enters... the NuWave oven. Yes, we have one. Ok, fine we have two, but that's a story for another time. Back to the oven-- it takes up a good amount of counter space so I decided that it needed to earn its due if it was going to stay there or be demoted to the bay window sill, or worse, under the counter cabinet. I am not usually the cook who used it so this would be something I needed to do a little research. If you've seen the infomercials, I'm sure you know all the bells and whistles this thing can do. Me? Sort of, I just knew I could cook frozen things in there. Great! Convenient for me! No more thawing!

Chicken Pot Pie

Ingredients:
1 (10 oz.) can Campbell's Cream of Chicken Soup
1 1/2 cups frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
1 1/2 cups cubed, cooked chicken
3/4 cup chicken broth combined with 3 tablespoons flour
2 Pillsbury pie shells

Cooking:
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Mix soup, vegetables (may use fresh vegetables), chicken, and broth. (The mixture should be somewhat thick.)

2. Put mixture into the bottom pie shell. Cover with the top pie crust and crimp to seal. Slice a few vent holes in the top.

3. Bake for 40 minutes or until golden. Cover pie edge with aluminum foil or a pie shield if it begins to brown too quickly.

Tine's Notes: I used Cream of Chicken and Mushroom soup but it tasted just fine. I also added 2 tbsp of milk to make it more creamy. I used fresh carrots, but frozen peas and corn. Variety is good right? Instead of pre-bought shells, I made my own courtesy of Mrs. Fields and only used it to top the chicken and vegetable mixture. And yes, I sure did use the NuWave oven. 35 minutes on high if you need to know. =)

Yields: One 9-inch pie

Crust:
6 tbsp cold unsalted butter
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
2 to 3 tbsp ice water

1. With a pastry blender, incorporate the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Toss the mixture with a fork, sprinkling on just enough of the ice water to form a cohesive dough. Flatten the dough into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap, and chill in the refrigerator for 45 minutes. Roll out to an 11-inch circle and fir into a 9-inch pie plate. Trim and crimp edges. 

**This a pic free post. No, I won't be doing it often, I just don't want to steal a pic for this. Just know it didn't take long to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment