Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Hummingbird Cake


Disclosure: No actual hummingbirds were harmed in the making of this cake.
I found this recipe browsing through my Big Oven app on my phone. Marked it 'Try Soon' and I have already made three of them. Only one stayed at the house, the others to mother's work and brother's work. I suppose I am good for something after all.

Hummingbird Cake
from Big Oven

Ingredients:
3 cups all purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
8 oz. can crushed pineapple with juice
1 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs, well beaten
3 medium bananas, chopped
1 cup walnuts or pecans, finely chopped
1/2 tsp vanilla

Glaze
1 tbsp butter or margarine, melted
1 cup powdered sugar, sifted

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 325F.

Generously grease a 10" tube or a fluted tube pan.

To make the cake: In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt.

Next remove 2 Tablespoons of juice from the can of pineapple. Set this juice aside for the glaze

To the flour mixture, add the can of pineapple, the oil, eggs, banana, nuts, and vanilla. Stir until just blended. Do not beat.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake in the 325 degree oven for about 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Invert the cake onto a wire rack and remove the pan from the cake. Cool completely.

To make the glaze: In a small bowl combine the melted butter or margarine with the powdered sugar. Add enough of the reserved pineapple juice to make a glaze of drizzling consistancy. Drizzle the glaze over the cooled cake. For a glaze with a whole new dimension, try substituting rum for the pineapple juice.


I'm not the most patient of people so I have tried to glaze a warm cake and the frosting melted into the cake. Yeah, don't do that. Be patient and you will be rewarded with a cake that looks store bought. I added rum to one of the glazes plus the pineapple juice. It was about 2 tsp so it wasn't overpowering at all. I sent that cake to my brother (of course).

Tine's Notes: It'll take a couple of hours to completely cool. I KNOW. If pressed for time, make the night before and leave to cool overnight. This recipe makes 14 servings, you can freeze the cake if you need to.

No comments:

Post a Comment