Friday, June 4, 2010

Da-na da-na

Laugh now, but this is serious stuff. My mother can't eat because of this. Well, she couldn't eat much of it because of the connotation but you get it, right?



My brother went deep sea fishing about a week ago and his spoils came to about, oh I'd say about 25 lbs of black tipped shark meat. I had no idea what to do with all of it let alone how to cook it. Google-fu to the rescue.

What did I discover? There are two options to cook shark: frying and baking. I found this recipe and thought we should get a jump start on consuming this... meat.

Seven Spiced Shark Steak

Ingredients:
3 (8 ounce) shark steaks
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 tablespoons garlic salt
2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
2 tablespoons ground black pepper
2 tablespoons chili powder

Cooking:
1. Rinse the shark steaks and trim off any skin.

2. Mix together the soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, onion powder, garlic salt, thyme, black pepper, and chili powder in a small bowl to form a paste. Spread a thin layer of the soy sauce mixture on both sides of each shark steak. Place on a plate and cover. Allow to marinate in the refrigerator at least 30 minutes.

3. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Arrange the shark on a baking sheet. Bake the shark in the preheated oven until cooked completely through, about 40 minutes, turning the steaks over once, about half-way through the cooking time.

Tine's Notes: Subbed dried thyme for the fresh [who actually has that on-hand all the time?] Shark meat is very clean tasting and not at all fishy like I thought it may be. The spices in this recipe really go all out. You should probably taste it before slathering it on as I did not. Needless to say our sinuses were quite clear after dinner this night. It's quite a kick. [I hear shark tacos are the way to go. Anyone have a recipe or suggestions for more shark recipes? Better yet, anyone want to take some off our hands?]
Seeing as how my mother flips out knowing she is eating shark, brother instructed that I continue to cook it and tell her it's just fish. On it.

Here's a pic: Shark is not pretty.

*NEW Thing I learned: I suck at filleting.

No comments:

Post a Comment